Now, I’ve always wanted to travel the World, as do a lot of people.
This has a bit of a different edge to it however, when you have a family to consider. Most people, once they have children on the scene, tend to put any adventures that they once dreamt about out of their minds.
Especially when your kids are ankle biters!
However, five or so years ago now…
I came across a book by Daniel Glick, called Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids & a Journey to the Ends of the Earth.
It was a great read & inspired me tremendously, to the point that I started discussing with my then 5/6 year old son, where he would like to go on our very own ‘World Trip.’
And so it began.
This Bucket List therefore, encompasses places that we will build into our ‘World Trip’ itinirary, along with others that we might not get too, however they are never-the-less ‘to do before you die’ kinda things.
The list is far from conclusive & will continue to grow.
Now, if I were to spend the rest of my productive days stuck in the ‘Rat Race’ working for a wage, chances are I’d never have the time or money to make any of this happen….
which is why I decided to take a different path a few years ago.
You can’t put a price on Freedom!
(*W = William’s choices)
1. The Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)
2. The Himalaya (Tibet, Napal, Bhutan) – Snow Leopard (*W)
3. Africa (the continent of – specifics to be ironed out!)
4. Cuba (music, architecture)
5. Straight of Magallen, Tierra del Fuego – Commerson’s Dolphin (*W)
6. Patagonia, Chile
9. Dog Sledding in Sweden
10. Sea Kayaking in Baja
11. Istanbul, Turkey
12. Marrakesh, Morocco
13. Cairo, Egypt
14. Moscow, Russia
15. Gobi Desert, Mongolia
16. The Great Wall of China
17. New Zealand – Tuatara (*W)
19. Serengeti N.P., Tanzania – Wildebeest Migration (*W)
21. Camel ride in the Sahara
22. Krueger N.P., South Africa
23. Newfoundland, Canada
24. Iceland (Reykjavik) – Thermal Spa
25. Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail (AT), Georgia to Maine, 2000 miles
26. Galapogos Islands (*W)
27. Kathmandu, Nepal
28. Lhasa, Tibet
29. Rio de Janeiro Carnival
30. The Amazon
32. Bamako, Mali (music)
33. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
34. Machu Pichu, Peru (& Chachapoya)
35. Ride a Harley the length of Route 66
36. Drive a Jeep Wrangler the length of highway 1, Calilfornia ~ Stopping at Nepenthe & Big Sur Lodge (been to both before, but must go back!). Already driven some of highway one in my old wrangler , however in need of a new one!
37. Ride the Trans Siberian Express
38. Venice, Italy
39. Rome, Italy
40. Chengdu, China – Panda’s (*W)
42. Beunos Aires, Argentina – Learn to Tango!
43. Monterey Bay, California – Whales, Sea Otters, Great Whites, Birds (*W) ~ already lived there pre-children, however need to go back so that Will can see the above. Plus, it’s a beautiful place!
44. The Artic – Orca’s (*W)
45. South Africa – Sardine Run (*W)
46. Egypt – Pyramids/Nile River
47. Okavango River Delta, Botswana (*W)
48. Red Sea - Coral Reefs (at night with blue flashlights?) (*W)
49. Idaho - Great White Sturgeon (*W)
50. The Azores – Sperm Whales (*W)
51. Christmas Island – Red Crab Migration
1. A plot of land in the woods, by a lake, to build our dream home on!
3. Jet Skis ~ to play with!
4. Sailboat ~ to enjoy life with!
5. VW Camper Van ~ to explore with!
6. Skiing (become an expert)
7. Scuba diving (become an expert)
8. Surfing (become an expert)
9. Sailing (become an expert)
10. Space Travel! (oh yes!)