Now, I’ve always wanted to travel the World, as do a lot of people.
This has a bit of a different edge to it however, when you have a family to consider. Most people, once they have children on the scene, tend to put any adventures that they once dreamt about out of their minds.
Especially when your kids are ankle biters!
However, five or so years ago now…
I came across a book by Daniel Glick, called Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids & a Journey to the Ends of the Earth.
It was a great read & inspired me tremendously, to the point that I started discussing with my then 5/6 year old son, where he would like to go on our very own ‘World Trip.’
And so it began.
This Bucket List therefore, encompasses places that we will build into our ‘World Trip’ itinerary, along with others that we might not get too, however they are never-the-less ‘to do before you die’ kinda things.
The list is far from conclusive & will continue to grow.
Now, if I were to spend the rest of my productive days stuck in the ‘Rat Race’ working for a wage, chances are I’d never have the time or money to make any of this happen….
which is why I decided to take a different path.
You can’t put a price on Freedom.
(*W = William’s choices)
1. The Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)
2. The Himalaya (Tibet, Napal, Bhutan) – Snow Leopard (*W)
3. Africa (the continent of – specifics to be ironed out!)
4. Cuba (music, architecture)
5. Straight of Magallen, Tierra del Fuego – Commerson’s Dolphin (*W)
6. Patagonia, Chile
9. Sweden [DONE - must go back to explore!] also Sapmi Reindeer Migration
10. Baja, Mexico [Sea Kayaking - also see Adventure section below]
11. Istanbul, Turkey
12. Marrakesh, Morocco
13. Cairo, Egypt
14. Moscow, Russia
15. Gobi Desert, Mongolia
16. The Great Wall, China
17. New Zealand – Tuatara (*W)
19. Serengeti N.P., Tanzania – Wildebeest Migration (*W)
21. Camel ride in the Sahara
22. Krueger N.P., South Africa
23. Newfoundland, Canada
24. Iceland (Reykjavik) – (Thermal Spa)
25. Grand Canyon N.P., Arizona [DONE - must take the kids - plus raft & camp]
26. Galapagos Islands (*W)
27. Kathmandu, Nepal
28. Lhasa, Tibet
30. The Amazon
32. Bamako, Mali (music)
33. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
34. Machu Pichu, Peru (& Chachapoya)
35. Road Trip: Ride a Harley the length of Route 66
36. Road Trip: Drive a Jeep Wrangler the length of highway 1, Calilfornia ~ Stopping at Nepenthe & Big Sur Lodge (been to both before…must go back!). [Partly DONE -L.A. to Monterey- in my old wrangler!]
37. Ride the Trans Siberian Express
38. Venice, Italy
39. Rome, Italy
40. Chengdu, China – Panda’s (*W)
41. Zambezi River, Zambia (Victoria Falls) – (see adventures below, also)
42. Beunos Aires, Argentina (Learn to Tango!)
43. Monterey Bay, California – Whales, Sea Otters, Great Whites, Birds (*W) ~ [DONE - lived there pre-children, however need to go back so that Will can see the above. Plus, it's an amazingly beautiful place!]
44. The Artic – Orca’s (*W)
45. South Africa – Sardine Run (*W)
46. Egypt – Pyramids/Nile River
47. Okavango River Delta, Botswana (*W)
48. Red Sea - Coral Reefs (at night with blue flashlights?) (*W)
49. Idaho - Great White Sturgeon (*W)
50. The Azores – Sperm Whales (*W)
51. Christmas Island – Red Crab Migration
52. Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh, India (little Tibet!)
53. Chichen Itza, Mexico
54. Tango Goemba Buddhist Monastery, Bhutan
59. French Polynesia – Tahiti (diving with sharks)
60. Easter Island
61. Belize (scuba diving)
Suggestions welcome of more places to experience!
1. Piece of land in the woods, by a lake, in the Rocky Mountains. On which to build our dream home and establish Thriving Adventures Life Camps on.
2. Jet Skis ~ to play with!
3. Sailboat ~ to see the world with!
4. VW Transporter & Jeep Wrangler (again) ~ to explore with!
5. Narrowboat in the U.K. ~ to live on and explore with when we’re back ‘in country.’
- Scuba diving
- Sea Kayaking
- Wind Surfing
- A Martial Art (to be specified)
- A second language (tbs)
I added a new ‘adventure’ section, on the back of writing the Thriving Adventures Manifesto, and my mission to challenge myself to live a life without limits….do epic sh*t!
to seek adventure…
- Bike Coast to Coast across Northern England - DONE!
- Kayak across Scotland via the Great Glen Canoe Trail
- Hike the Appalachian Trail
- Hike the Pacific Crest Trail
- Trek the Manaslu Circuit, Napal
- Bike around Iceland
- Trek Torres Del Paine National Park, Chilean Patagonia
- Bike the Baja Peninsula
- Raft the Zambezi River
- Crossing the Sahara Desert (Beyond Epic!)
- Sea kayak the Broken Group Islands, British Columbia
- Mountain Bike Morzine, France
- Hike the Continental Divide Trail (seriously Epic!)
- Hike the GR 20, Corsica
- Bike through Tuscany, Italy
- Hike the Pacific Northwest Trail
- Kayak Vancouver Island, Canada
- Space Travel!?!
- Kayak The Inner Hebrides, Scotland
- Cycle the Tour de France Route
- Canoe the Yukon River [outfitters]
- Sea Kayak Doubtful Sound, Fjordland, New Zealand
‘Life is a daring adventure, or nothing.‘